Celebrating the season of “light”
“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined” (Isaiah 9:2).
The message of “light” is a truth that can be a powerful help to all of us in these chaotic, volatile days in which we are living. During a time in which darkness seems to be spreading across the world, we need the hidden truth of God’s light more than ever before! The secret truth of “light” can be found in the approaching celebrations of Hanukkah and Christmas.
The origin of Hanukkah dates back to 165 B.C. with the conquest of Judah by the Greek ruler Antiochus IV. This is one of the most thrilling accounts of Yahweh’s miraculous provision for His people, which is distinguished with the celebration of Hanukkah (Chanukah), the Festival of Lights. This Jewish festival celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over Antiochus, an evil king of the Seleucid Greek Empire of Syria, who was occupying Israel.
Antiochus had attempted to convert Israel to Hellenism, and a battle of terror ensued after the faithful Jews resisted. The Maccabees led a guerilla resistance that forced the occupying forces out of Judea. Following their great victory, the Jews desired to restore Temple worship, but could only find one small cruse of sacred oil that had been consecrated to light the menorah on the altar. The menorah has eight lamps, which are supposed to burn for eight days. The small amount of oil they found would have only burned for 24 hours. Still, they went ahead and lit the lamp, and miraculously the flames continued to rise from the lamp on the altar for an additional eight days. The Jerusalem temple was rededicated back to Yahweh with the Jews experiencing a supernatural provision of oil for the menorah.
One of today’s lessons with Hanukkah is that, in the days in which we live, we need to remain faithful with a supernatural resolve to say no to the imposing forces of darkness all around us. The second lesson is the assurance that God can, and does, offer miraculous provision to His people as they carry out His redemptive plans and purposes in the Earth.
The origin of Christmas dates back to the time of Yeshua’s birth.
“In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it” (John 1:4-5).
Throughout John’s Gospel, Yeshua speaks of light and the believer’s victorious battle over darkness. For example, in John 8:12 Jesus declares, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
Even in these end times when the world is at its darkest hour, the light of God’s chosen people, both Israel and the Church, should be burning most intently. The Apostle Paul emphasized the fact that believers were to shine as “lights in the world” in the midst of a wicked and perverse nation (Philippians 2:15). The light of His truth will shine through enlightened believers who will carry His torch in the earth.
Isaiah 60:1-3 calls God’s People to action: “Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people; but the Lord will arise over you, and His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising.”
Yes, the days are dark, which means this is our time to shine. Of course, we will shine brighter and stronger together. While pushing back against the gathering darkness that is enveloping the nation in so many different ways, we have experienced many ministry miracles in 2014 in the nation’s capital. Even though a newly united Congress is willing to work on behalf of the people; we still face the Goliath of fraud and abuse of power by the federal government and the executive branch. We need a divine intervention and spiritual revival for America to be restored!
That means your support has never been more needed.
Because time is short, we must . . .
- Expand our media outreach, which is reaching millions of households all over the world via satellite. Our website is fully operational and still needs podcast ability to be added with weekly messages. Some of my TV Interviews can be viewed at: www.embassyforworldpeace.org
- Continue to provide public awareness to grassroots from Washington, D.C. The Church of Jesus Christ must be awakened from its slumber. We continue to work with pastoral groups across the nation, encouraging them to stand up for their Judeo-Christian values and pray for revival! Visit my blog: www.washdcreport.com
- Intensify our efforts to bring public awareness and support to the persecution and genocide of Christians around the world and in the epicenter where non-Muslims are being savaged by a gruesome campaign of beheadings, kidnappings, torture, and forced marriages across the Islamic world. Visit: wwww.embassyforworldpeace.org
- Continue publishing Bible-teaching books for the Power of the King Series. The Power of the King’s Fire and Power of the King’s Scepter are available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle. Also, on Apple iBooks and Nook. Power of the King’s Blood should be released in early spring 2015. (Funds are needed for publishing and marketing.)
- We thank each and every one for your faithful support and prayers. Please pray about a special end of the year gift toward the $9,500 needed to fulfill our ministry expenses by Christmas.
Message by: Ruth Schofield, President, Embassy for World Peace, Washington, D.C. www.embassyforworldpeace.org